Looking back...


Image ©YS.

Dec 2007 | The former Supreme Court and City Hall buildings beautifully lighted up on a weekend. I think at that time, the buildings were only lighted up on weekends and on special occasions such as National Day.


Here's a quick look at a random collection of most probably seen as pointless photographs of the former Supreme Court and City Hall buildings that I've taken in December 2007, January 2008, October 2008 and October 2010. Although it sounds like I've been there way too often, it's actually not so.

In December 2007 and January 2008, I was exploring the Civic District and snapping some images of it for a school module assignment. These buildings forms part of the Civic District and therefore I've images of them.

Then in the month of October of 2008, I was there for the second installment of the Singapore Biennale. The former City Hall building was one of the few locations used for the event. Read about and view some images from my visit to the 2008 Singapore Biennale here.

Lastly, in October 2010, they held an "open house" event before the buildings were officially closed for a massive transformation. Read about and view some images from my extremely brief trip back in 2010 by clicking here.

Hence, what's the purpose of this entry? It's just an urge to upload these images and create a flashback moment to some random sights from 2008 and 2010. After all, the quality of these images are only "so-so" when compared to what's achievable with today's technology. Furthermore, the scenes as seen from these images of the buildings and its surroundings are extremely limited comparing to what can be found through both online and offline methods. Thus, this entry can be seen as one that's seriously meaningless, but again, not exactly.


Image ©YS.

Dec 2007 | The former City Hall building



Image ©YS.

Jan 2008 | The former Supreme Court building. It was such a waste for that string of lights to be out. However, I think the lighting back then gives a "warm feeling" as compared to today's use of LED technology, where it feels "cool". I've no idea how accurate this "feel" is, it's just a personal thought and, ya, personal "feel".



Image ©YS.

Dec 2007 | Morning shadows



Image ©YS.

Oct 2008 | At the former City Hall building for the 2008 Singapore Biennale. This area as seen is fully sheltered today. It used to be an open courtyard. And the installation as seen on your very right corner is some kind of installation with aliens as its subject.



Image ©YS.

Oct 2010 | Today, this area has also been fully sheltered, and furthermore, the floors have been "opened up" that leads you to a newly carved out basement. It's amazing to see the before and after of this area. It used to be a driveway!



Image ©YS.

Dec 2007 | The Corinthian columns of City Hall.





View it slightly larger: Click on the individual photographs
Taken in: Dec '07, Jan & Oct '08, Oct '10 | Time: Daytime and nighttime
Photograph size above: 640 pixels (longer side)

Comments